Our aim is to create a world where lipreading is available to anyone who needs it.
Hearing loss is the most isolating disability. As Jack Ashley famously said “Deafness separates humans from humankind.”
“We believe that everyone with hearing loss should have access to a local lipreading class …”
Who are lipreading classes for?
Classes are for anyone who struggles to hear. They are often – and more accurately – called ‘Lipreading and Managing Hearing Loss’ classes.
ATLA (the Association of Teachers of Lipreading to Adults) is the only organisation dedicated to teaching this valuable skill.
ATLA has qualified members throughout the country who run sessions so that people who struggle to hear can stay in work, and all, whether working or retired, can continue to enjoy the company of family and friends. Visit our Find a Lipreading Class section to find a class near you.
What your class will cover
In class you will meet others who have similar problems. You will
- learn more about how to get the best from today’s hi tech hearing aids
- get information on organisations that can help you
- join in discussions on types of hearing loss and ways of coping
- learn tactics to use in difficult situations – and much more.
But above all, you will improve the lipreading skills you already have – even if you are not aware of them. This will boost your confidence and allow you to take charge of your own hearing loss.
Watch the video
Have a look at the video of students from a lipreading class. Go to our Find a Lipreading Class section to find a class near you. Read the Managing Hearing Loss section – there is sure to be something of use.
Learn to be a tutor
We are short of lipreading tutors in many areas, so we welcome anyone who would like to retrain as a teacher. There is information about all the teacher training courses in the Become a Lipreading Teacher section. Many, but not all of us, have a hearing loss ourselves.
- to raise awareness about the value of lipreading classes in a world where hearing loss is on the increase
- more teacher training courses
- a nationwide policy on funding of classes, so that their cost ceases to be a postcode lottery
- to campaign for more and cheaper classes.
We welcome comments, suggestions and support from all, but in particular other professionals working in similar fields.
Please enjoy our website